Auto Accident Law 101

Auto Accident Law 101

Personal Injury Payments Without A Lawsuit

Everett Cook

You don't necessarily need to take a party to court to be paid after you have been harmed. The below methods avoid court, are easier to cope with, and often result in a fast way to be compensated after an accident. Read on and consider these alternatives to filing a lawsuit.

File an Accident Report

Whether it's a slip and fall or another type of injury, you may not have to take a business to court to get your damages covered. Just follow these guidelines to ensure that the business knows you expect to be paid for your damages after an injury:

  1. Alert the manager on duty or the owner at once.
  2. Fill out any necessary forms required by the business.
  3. Talk to a personal injury lawyer to find out how much you are owed by the business.
  4. Use the business's insurance to cover your damages and let your lawyer do the negotiating for you.

Work Accidents and Compensation

While almost all workplaces are covered by workers' comp insurance, what you end up being paid may not be enough in some cases. To cover your bases, speak to a personal injury attorney about filing not a workers' comp claim but a personal injury claim instead. This type of action may be called for when your injury involved a third party. For instance, if an equipment malfunction caused your injury, you may want to sew the manufacturer instead of filing a workers' compensation claim. Other issues calling for the help of a personal injury lawyer include catastrophic injuries, toxic substance exposure cases, occupational illnesses, and more.

Demand Payment

Finally, with the help of a personal injury lawyer, you can just demand payment for your damages. Here is how it works:

  1. Your lawyer discusses what the other party owes you and you arrive at the amount you are willing to accept.
  2. A letter is drafted listing why you are owed compensation, the proof you have of your damages, and how much you are asking to be paid.
  3. The other side may respond with an offer you either accept or reject.
  4. Your lawyer and the other side continue to negotiate until the issue is resolved.

In all the above cases, you can usually take the other party to court if nothing else works. Given the time and hassle of court, it's wise to at least consider the less-aggressive methods of being paid what you are owed. Make an appointment with a law firm, such as the Law Office Of Timothy M. O'Donovan, to find out more.


2022© Auto Accident Law 101
About Me
Auto Accident Law 101

After being involved in a serious auto accident with a drunk driver, I struggled heavily with getting the driver's insurance company to open a claim. When the insurance company started pushing back, I knew I needed to do something. I spent a lot of time digging through the laws surrounding auto accident claims so that I knew what my legal rights were. I even talked with an auto accident attorney. I created this site to teach others about what I learned, including my court experience. I hope it helps you to determine how you should proceed with your auto accident case.